Here are some resources for new breeders and quick reference links for existing breeders.
These companies accept fleece samples for testing and return detailed measurements of the fleece' average diameter (measured in microns) and other standardized measured that help in assessing the fineness and uniformity of an alpacas' fleece.
Alpaca Farming Products & Equipment
You can find these books at Amazon.com, Useful Llama Items, or Quality Llama Products, Inc. The following books are a sample of what's available; the first three can get you started by helping you identify the characteristics to look at in animals you are purchasing, basic health care and basic neonatal care (for those pregnant dams).
- Secrets of the Andean Alpaca by Maggie and Richard Krieger
- Caring For Llamas and Alpacas - A Health and Management Guide by Claire Hoffman, DVM and Ingrid Asmus
- Llama and Alpaca Neonatal Care by Smith, Timm and Long, DVMs
- Alpaca Field Manual, Third Edition - Dr. C. Norman Evans, D.V.M.
- The Complete Alpaca Book by Eric Hoffman
- Llama and Alpaca Husbandry and Medical Care - Robert Pollard, DVM and Suzi Pollard
- The Camelid Companion by Marty McGee Bennett (on training)
- The Color Chart of the officially recognized colors can be purchased from the Alpaca Owners Association
For training alpacas and their owners:
- John Mallon — Gentling & Training Llamas & Alpacas
- Camelidynamics TTEAM (Tellington Touch Every Animal Method)
- Gentle Spirit Behavior & Training by Cathy Spaulding
The BEST Resource
One of the very best resources is to establish a relationship with a successful farm. We welcome visits from existing and prospective alpaca breeders. Contact us for more information